Skip to main content

My Kitchen Today: Ila Alasepo(Okro Stew)


       This soup is what I call Okro jollof, it is the combination of okro and stew together. Although people regard it as a meal you cook when you have no money, Okra soup is your best bet in this post pandemic era; it  is rich in Fibre, protein, Vitamins k/c, Folate and Magnesium.  It can be turned into a “rich” soup by making use of a wide variety of proteins. Let's go!!!

INGREDIENTS( For a table of three):
.2 cups of chopped okro
.Precooked meat –2 cups
.Smoked fish – 2 pieces (washed and pulled)
.1 teaspoon of pepper( I prefer coarsely grinded fresh pepper)
. 1cup of Fresh or dried prawns 
.3 cups of beef stock or water 
.½ teaspoon of cooking potash (Kaun) or Baking soda for viscosity( Both are optional)
. Stock cubes for taste
.3 tablespoons of  blended crayfish
.¼ cup palm oil(Oil can be adjusted for health issues)
.Salt- to taste
. Iru( Locust Bean)
(Use less water if you are not adding lots of meat to the soup)

Procedures
.Place a  pot on medium heat , pour in the meat stock (or water), cover and allow to boil.
.Add in the cooking potash if using any. 
.Reduce heat to medium. 
.Add in the prepared meat, fish, prawns, crayfish powder, maggi, palm oil and some of  the coarsely grinded pepper
. Combine and  leave to simmer for 10-12 minutes
.Stir, taste and adjust for Seasoning
.Add in chopped okra and the remaining pepper
. stir well to combine. 
.Taste and adjust for seasoning
. Simmer for another 3-5 minutes
Note: If using baking soda, add it in about (2) minutes before cooking ends.
Serve with Semolina, fufu, garri or pounded yam . Enjoy! 😄😄

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tired of giving!

Oops!it's been rain rain rain in this part of my world for the past one week.At times it can be really annoying,especially when you have planned a fun day and the rains come pouring down making the ground all wet and irritating.If there is anything I love to do,it is shopping.I had planned to go shopping and the rain wouldn't just go away so I threw caution to the wind and grabbed my little umbrella.Out in the rain I went,quickly hailed a cab and zoomed to the market. The entrance to the market was something else.Obviously like me,the rain couldn't deter so many people.People were milling around everywhere,even beggars sat put in their positions begging for alms from all who passed them.One of them particularly caught my attention.Unlike others he was standing,his buttons were all undone and I saw something like a rope connected to his navel,tracing the end,I saw something like a drip or something but some kind of satchet with some content in it in his hand and then there w...

Woman Crush Sunday (WCS): Funke Akindele

This is Olufunke Ayotunde Akindele, a Nigerian Actress and Producer, Script writer and Entrepreneur. She is mostly referred to as Funke Akindele . Funke was born in her home town in Ikorodu local government area, Lagos State on the 24th of August 1977 to Mr. Richard Akindele a retired school principal and Mrs Alice Akindele, a medical doctor.  She attended Grace Children Schools, Gbagada and Lagos State Model College, Igbo-kuta for her primary and secondary education respectively. Funke has an OND in Mass Communication from Moshood Abiola Polytechnic, Ogun State and a Law degree from  the University of Lagos.   Her journey to stardom began when she played the role of a curious but brilliant secondary school student in a popular TV series,  I Need to Know  which aired from 1998 -2002.   I Need to Know   is a United Nations Population Fund sponsored Sitcom program  created to enlighten the public on the issues teenagers face while growing up. F...

Why do they keep staring?

In these few years God has blessed me with on earth,I have seen so many things:the good,the bad,the ugly.I am so curious about men and their way of thinking.He is driving on the road,he is looking,in the office,he is looking,in the park,he is looking,even in church he is looking...Chei!what is it?.He gladly boasts that every man is wired that way,he couldn't be different. Ladies,have you ever been looked at by a guy so badly that you almost puked?There are those whose stares make you feel like smacking them behind and saying,don't be silly!.There are others whose stares make you feel embarrased and uncomfortable but there are those who make you feel like a queen made to be worshipped.Hahah...yea,I know that feeling...hey,don't worry the feeling is mutual.I like it too.I mean who doesn't want to feel wanted?. However,I am particularly curious about why some men just go bonkers at the sight of a woman.Why his nose will trace a perfume to the owner?Why his mouth will hang ...